Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Purple Sky

Today was a great art day. I got so much accomplished in the studio. First, I was able to finish my acrylic painting called Purple Sky, 6"x7". For some reason the background looks more blue then purple but believe me it is purple.

My favorite little artist picked out the colors for this painting, however, the use of purple for the background was my idea. Sometimes, you pick out colors and then you find that they just don't gel. I do need to buy a new tube of purple. Yes, I know you can make your own purple out of blue and red, however, the color is more consistent from a tube. For whatever reason I tend not to mix colors, I almost never do it. Now that doesn't mean that I don't mix them together on the canvas or board but I don't normally pre-mix them. With acrylics I like to layer the colors in order to get a desired effect, then when the finished piece is glazed the piece appears to have added depth. For oils I like to blend them on the canvas or use the pallet knife directly on the canvas to create texture and dimension.

My other big undertaking today was to clean up my studio. I rearranged some of the furniture but mostly I purged. My little artist is quite prolific in her creation of art, add to that everything she does and brings home from school and that is a lot of paper. So I opted to keep a few key pieces that I hung up on the walls so she could look at them. Her reaction was awesome "You did this for me?? I love it!"

Part of me was going to try and impress on her that it is my studio and she is just a guest in it but since we both work in it together and she has her easel and drawing table set up in it, it really is our studio/art room.

The last art related item I did was to set up the board for tomorrow's piece which will probably take a few days to complete since it is a larger acrylic painting.

Well so long for now my friends and enjoy the new piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment