Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Getting Back on Track

Today, was a good day. My little artist had a play date after school. It is so nice to hear her playing with a friend. And on the selfish side, I get so much done when she has a friend to play with and doesn't look to me to occupy her time. Although she does play well on her own. But anyway, these mommy musings are not why we are here.

So the fact, that this impromptu play date came up got me to thinking. If I let the responsibilities of my life overshadow my art all the time then I will never create. In fact, that is how it has been for the last oh I don't know how many years! There is always something to be done for my husband, my daughter, my job, the house, and on and on. So it was used as an excuse to bury that part of me that wanted to create. It would be selfish of me to take time to draw and paint when there are so many other seemingly more important things to do. But no more!

I have found that I am happier and a better mommy and wife when I indulge my artistic side. It will not be silenced and it will not be denied so now it is time to figure out how to incorporate it into my "real" life. When will I draw when I start working again? What about painting and showing? I don't know the answer tonight but I am determined to figure it out and I will share it with you.

So today after a full day of job searching, working on my professional recertification, cleaning the tv room, having a play date, cooking dinner and getting my girl ready and into bed, I sat down and did a pastel drawing. In fact, I did the sketch for it while my girl was playing with her friend...gotta love multi-tasking hahaha.

So, today's piece is called "Loop", pastel on paper, 12"x9". It is a play on darks and lights. Also, I was in a very red mood so that is the dominant color. But then again the dominance of red can't be too surprising given my name...Garnet.

Later, I am off to chat w/my friend on fb...I probably would not have embarked on this creative journey if not for her. More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment