Friday, April 9, 2010

Mother Butterfly

I realized today that all my sketches basically start the same way...with a curved line. Also, it appears that I am still in my "Mother" phase. I have been creating them since 2008 which may seem long but it really isn't considering I have been doing "Trees" since about 1992ish.

This was a fun piece to do and it was full of surprises. First, the original starting curves I erased. As I erased them I was thinking "Why not just move onto a blank page?" But that is not what I was supposed to do. Then as I was creating the pastel I found I was struggling with the magenta color...it was't right and by the time I realized that it was too late. I loved the drawing and the flow of the picture but the magenta bothered me...I stared at my box of pastels and decided the magenta is too pink and needs to be toned down. A little bit of dark red colored into the magenta was all that was needed.

It is interesting I started off my morning open to whatever the universe decides to send my way and I am rewarded with a lovely work (in my humble opinion, anyway).

Oh, I almost forgot...this piece is called Mother Butterfly, pastel on paper, 9"x12".

May the universe send good things your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment