Thursday, April 8, 2010

Back

Here is today's piece. It is called "Back", it is pastel on paper, 6"x9". A bit different then what I normally do but sometimes it is just fun to see where the pencil takes you.

Recreating this sketch in pastel gave it a totally different look and feel. The original sketch is so simple, with clean lines. I tried to do a play on lights and darks with the pastel and in some ways I think it looks more like a vegetable.

Unlike yesterday, today it took a number of sketches before I found one that said...make me into a piece of art. Not that the sketches aren't artworks in their own right but for me there is something special in taking the sketch to the next level. As I mentioned before, this piece came into existence by just letting my pencil roam free. Nothing specific in mind except to draw flowing lines and see what happens. Prior to this piece I had been drawing "Mothers", which is the subject matter I am stuck on at the moment.

What does this piece say to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment