Saturday, April 24, 2010

Branch


Today's piece is called "Branch", pastel on paper, 6"x9". I love the original sketch for its simplicity but I do need to look at it in the morning light. Doing work late in the day with no natural light is not really the best way to create. However, it was a very busy day and my little artist had pushed me to my limits. I had to instill a "mommy timeout"...haha

So after cooling down and putting the sweet one to bed, I looked for a movie to watch and decided on "Julie & Julie" which I love. If you want to watch a nice movie this is it...good humor and a good story line. In fact it was after watching this movie that I decided to finally take the plunge and start my own blog. I had wanted to do a blog for awhile but never knew what I would write about. It is amazing what being unemployed and watching a movie can inspire. :-)

So enough rambling...back to art. I love tracing paper, it makes it so easy to replicate a sketch and not lose the integrity of the original. I also love pastels, they give me instant gratification. Pastels, unlike oils or acrylics, allow me to create a work in a couple hours. I know there are pastel experts out there who spend hours on their creations but that is not me. I love the immediacy with which I can create a lovely, soft work.

Some happy news...Yesterday evening I received an e-mail from a curator and will be participating in a month long group show in Brooklyn. So tomorrow I will make the trip to Brooklyn to drop off 3-4 pieces. I have actually chosen 7 to bring with me for the curator to choose from. So if anyone is local I hope you will stop by. Here is the link to the gallery with the info on the show and the opening http://jahartny.tripod.com/cccp/id2.html.

Until tomorrow my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment