Thursday, July 29, 2010

Two Today (sorta since one belongs to yesterday)

Here is the piece from yesterday, Mother Moon, acrylic on bristol, 8"x10". When I did the sketch I felt as if I had a break through and even as I worked on the piece that feeling remained. However, upon completion and reflection I am not so sure. But let me tell you why I thought is was a significant piece... The figure has a head w/hair and arms. It is rare that I include these features. The reasoning behind the exclusion is unclear to me but it could have something to do with the flow of the subject matter. Arms cut into the abdomen. As for heads...according to an old professor, who I don't even remember his name although I liked him, I de-humanize the figure by not including a head. Uh, don't think so...again, I just think it is flow. In addition, the background got an additional element, the "moon". This
added a new dynamic to the color scheme and flow of the piece.

So there you have it. A sorta kinda break through but no matter if it truly is, it was a good lesson learned. Basically, heads and limbs are not so bad :-)

Today's piece is called "Mother Tree", acrylic on bristol, 10"x13". I am pleased with this piece. The sketch for it was done before "Mother Moon" and as you can see it is headless. But it is a tree so it doesn't really matter. This piece is a fusion between two series that I work w/in: Mother and Trees. So a new series evolved called "Mother Nature".

I did realize that I am now favoring a different color scheme these days, reds and greens, so I need to be conscious of that. If not everything begins to look the same.

On a different note, karate last night was awesome. I love feeding the martial artist in me, although I will most likely be an underbelt forever tee hee. I love going but my work schedule over the last couple years made it impossible. Oh, the things we have time for when we are unemployed, umm I mean in transition. However, I will share with you that once you start studying a martial art it stays with you in so many ways. You find you are stronger than you thought and whether or not you are able to practice the physical side, you tend to always practice the the non-physical aspects. I invite you to check out my school's link in my favorite website section and if you are in the area stop in one day...I'd love to meet you.

That's all for now. Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment