Monday, July 19, 2010

Lovey

My favorite little artist named today's piece, "Lovey", acrylic on bristol, 8"x11". We went back and forth on some different names since I rejected many of her initial recommendations. However, we both like Lovey and since I sometimes call her my little lovey, we went with it. Also, the endearment Lovey holds special meaning for me since my maternal grandmother used to call me (and my sisters and cousins) that. So the title makes me think of her and wish she were here so I could share the painting with her. It is over a year since she passed away but somedays it feels like yesterday that I went to visit her.

One of my favorite visits with her was when she was at Burke going for rehab after a stroke (she had a number of strokes that left her unable to walk and talk). I went with her to speech therapy and they asked her "Is your last name Smith". My g'ma replied "yes" and the therapist very gently said "are you sure?" Again, my g'ma said, "yes", and the therapist told her that is incorrect. I then chimed in and said well her maiden name was Smith so technically she is not wrong. The therapist then asked my g'ma is your last name Jones? My g'ma replied with a resounding NO and when asked what her last name is she correctly answered.

At this visit, I also had my favorite little artist with me and she had just began "talking". So she decided to answer the questions as well. This made my g'ma laugh and smile.

Well that is all for now. I need to clean up the studio since my favorite little artist was painting in there today. She did a good job but we do need to clean brushes and put the paints away. Once her paintings are dry I will photograph them and post them on my fb so be sure to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment