Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Red Mama

It is a rainy day here in NY but that didn't stop me from painting today. Today's piece, "Red Mama", acrylic on bristol, 13"x18", was an experiment in a number of ways:

1. Tried out "retarder" to see if it did make the acrylics easier to work with. The jury is still out since I am thinking I may not have used enough since I was concerned about using too much.
2. It is rather large for an acrylic painting, at least for me. It is 13"x18".
3. Tried out some new brushes that had longer bristles. That was an interesting experience but may buy new brushes with shorter bristles again. It is a control thing.
4. The subject matter was drawn freehand right on the bristol board versus in a sketchbook and then traced. The reason is that the biggest sketchbook I own is 11"x14".

The colors on this piece are more earthy then I normally do. It is most likely a side effect of the rain on my psyche...LOL. This piece was also very difficult to photograph but then we all know that the camera and I aren't really good friends.

So far this is turning out to be a pretty good art week but it is only Tuesday so I hope I haven't jinxed myself. But I do have some other news...I did hear back from one of the galleries I reached out yesterday. Unfortunately, they are booked up for the August show but if someone is unable to deliver their works on time they will let me know. Also, I have been in contact with Yellow Llama and am hoping to work with them. I'll keep you posted. Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment