Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June Woman

For your viewing pleasure here is "June Woman", acrylic on bristol, 6"x9".

This painting was done from one of the sketches I did yesterday while up in Garrison. This is a significant piece for me for one very simple reason...she has a head. Normally, my life drawings are headless but yesterday I did make a conscientious decision to include a head. Eventually, I may get to a point where I actually draw a face but for now a head is a huge breakthrough for me.

This piece was also an experiment in limiting the colors I used and really working contrasts. This piece is also rare for me since the background is two different colors.

Aside from today's painting I also worked on my artist statement. So long overdue here is the draft...

"My work is a celebration of nature and women, specifically woman as mother. The female figure is a powerful one and dominates most of my works. Even the pieces reflecting trees are a tribute to the power of women signifying Mother Nature. Both are strong and feed my creative energy.

The pieces are abstract in design with a focus on form, movement and color. This is infused into my work, no matter what medium is used. The favored mediums are acrylic, pastel and oil. Each gives a different outcome and dimension to the piece. Pastels give a soft feel while acrylics give a strong, vibrant feel and oils allow for texture and movement.

The creative process remains the same regardless of the medium used or the subject matter chosen. Each piece starts out as a sketch that has been inspired by nature or life. It is developed and fine tuned before it is recreated in color."

Any thoughts you have regarding it are greatly appreciated. I am getting to a point where I want to send out marketing packets to local galleries to see if they will show my work and an artist statement is needed.

Well, enjoy today's offering and hopefully tomorrow will continue the creative energies that the beginning of this week have shown.


No comments:

Post a Comment