Monday, August 2, 2010

Thoughts on Retarder

So a few posts ago, I mentioned experimenting with retarder and now I wanted to share some thoughts on my "experiment"...

It is amazing the difference retarder makes when working with acrylics. What's even more amazing is how long it took for me to try it. I had an unopened bottle in my studio for years (yes, I said years). Now, I don't know how I ever painted without it. Just a few drops makes an incredible difference in the workability of the medium. And with that workability comes more control over the paint. I don't think a visible difference can be seen from the works I used it in to the ones I didn't, the difference is in the painting process itself. It has become more fluid and natural, no longer a race against time to work a section before the paint dries.

So if you paint in acrylics, I recommend two things: 1. use retarder during the painting process, 2. use gloss medium or a glaze over the finished piece. The difference these two things make is astonishing.

Tomorrow should be an exciting day which I hope is filled with good things.

Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment