Thursday, August 5, 2010

"E"mily

In 2002, my dear and trusted friend, Bonnie, lost her sister, Audrey, to brain cancer. To honor Audrey's memory, Bonnie started Audrey's Umbrella (AU). The concept is a simple but powerful one...send happy mail to featured friends. A featured friend is an individual who is suffering from brain cancer. This summer, Bonnie asked if my favorite little artist and I would like to be volunteers. We agreed and our friend's name is Emily. She is 13.

Tears are inevitable as I write this. All I can think of is my favorite little artist and the happiness that fills me from the simplest things she does. My heart is breaking as I think of the fight Emily and her family are going through and I wonder how as a mother you survive something like this. Then I think of Bonnie and wonder how do you survive losing a sister? I have three sisters and have fought with each of them throughout our lives but I could not for one second imagine my life w/out them.

So today as part of my alphabet project, I painted and "E" for Emily. It is done in her favorite colors and I will mail it to her along with fun artworks and such done by my favorite little artist.

Please keep Emily in your hearts and prayers and if you are interested in being an AU volunteer please e-mail Bonnie at bonnie@braintrust.org. It is a very simple way to make a huge impact in the life of a fellow human being.

Kiss and hug your loved ones today.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Garnet.
    I am sure Emily will love the happy mail sent by you and your favorite little artisit! :)

    ReplyDelete