Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Blue Moon Mama

My very trusted friend gave me some very honest and needed feedback the other day regarding my self proclaimed "break through" piece, "Mother Moon". It was not that she didn't like the piece b/c she did, it was just that she felt it was missing the simplicity of my previous works. She kept trying to envision the piece sans the arms, head and hair... So with that feedback in mind I created "Blue Moon Mama", acrylic on bristol, 7"x9".

Not to sound conceited but the picture does not do her justice. As of this moment in time she is my favorite painting! The interesting thing is if my friend hadn't given me the feedback she did I would not have created this gem. And to think, she almost didn't tell me her true feelings! I am so glad she did.

Honest feedback is invaluable when you are creating. Everyone who says a piece is fantastic doesn't really help much. Without feedback you can't grow and I want my work to grow. So my trusted friend please let me know what you think of "Blue Moon Mama" and never worry about hurting my feelings.

But aside from this painting, while cleaning my brushes today my thoughts were preoccupied with how happy I am not to be working at a company that was sucking the life out of me. I was amazed at the turn of events my life had taken. When I was an undergrad, I fought so hard to be able to study art. I battled with my mother over it. For her it was just not a viable major. But I fought and got my degree in art and then went on to get a masters as well. Then as life continued I began to work in an office, slowly burying the artist in me until she only came out every once in awhile. A drawing here or there while on vacation or over the holidays when I wasn't working. She was ignored and deprived and thoroughly UNHAPPY!! What I fought so hard for as a young adult, I totally buried as an adult. It is totally and unbelievably sad how easy it is to let dreams fall by the wayside. I have had the unique privilege of indulging her and letting her out to breath since February. My body of work has exploded, it is amazing.

The reality of the situation is that I do need to return to work sooner versus later. But the lesson learned is that I cannot deny such an integral part of who I am. So, I will find the right position at the right company and I will continue to paint and share my creations with you.

Thanks for listening and happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment