Saturday, August 7, 2010

Inspiration...

Main Entry: in·spi·ra·tion
Pronunciation: \ˌin(t)-spə-ˈrā-shən, -(ˌ)spi-\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century

1 a : a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation b : the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions c : the act of influencing or suggesting opinions 2 : the act of drawing in; specifically : the drawing of air into the lungs 3 a : the quality or state of being inspired b : something that is inspired 4 : an inspiring agent or influence


The above is the definition of inspiration as defined by the Miriam-Webster dictionary. Why, you wonder, the vocabulary lesson? Well, because inspiration is what the post is about. But to be totally honest, the idea is not mine...I was inspired to post this topic after reading a blog entry by Jennifer Probst, she is a wonderful writer and I have the pleasure of knowing her. Her husband and my husband grew up together. I remember the first time her husband introduced her to us, they had just started dating, and I remember thinking...he better marry her. But I digress...

Jennifer writes romance novels and blogs as Writing Mama. Her latest entry is about inspiration and she ends it with "Drop me a line and let me know what inspired you." So, Jen, here is what inspires me:
  • The smile on my favorite little artist's face when she asks "Can we go in the art room today?" - she inspires me to keep on creating art.
  • Sitting outside on a beautiful summer day doing nothing at all. - the sunshine just rejuvenates the soul
  • Reading a good book that makes you feel like anything is possible. - did you know Julia Child didn't start cooking until her late 30's? (I happen to e reading "My Life in France")
  • Letting my pencil find its own way across the paper. - it's a control thing or lack of control
  • Getting honest feedback on my work. - thank you my true friend, you know who you are
  • Fun tweets or facebook entries that make you LOL. - thank you all my twitter and facebook friends
  • Finding out my blog entry didn't make my friend cry. - gives me the courage to keep writing my honest thoughts
  • A goodnight kiss from my husband. - self-explanatory
I could go on and on but in the end what inspires me, as cliche as it sounds, are the simple things. The things we tend to overlook in the rush of our busy lives. It's taken me so long to learn, and I am still learning, to appreciate and watch for the inspiration that surrounds my daily life.

So my thought tonight is to be open to inspiration since you never know the form it will take. Thanks, Jen, for the inspiration for today's blog.

Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment