Monday, April 11, 2011

Making Potatoes

It has been ages since I have posted anything and my poor GO (garnetoriginals) is quite neglected. I am hoping to spend some time in my studio this weekend but it seems the best laid plans...well you know how it goes.

Anyway, this post has nothing to do with art. It has to do with a story I just shared with my favorite little artist about my maternal grandparents, affectionately known as Mama and Papa. Their "real" names were Joe and Dawn. (yes, the quotes are intentional but that is a different story). This story is about about making potatoes in the oven. In our family, Mama made the best potatoes in the oven and this is how they were made:

Mama in the living room calling to Papa who is in the kitchen.
Mama: Joe, please wash and cut the potatoes for me.
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
Papa: Dawn, the potatoes are ready.
Mama: Ok, Joe, please put them in the baking pan for me. Oh, can you turn the oven on?
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
Mama: I'll be right in to season them.
Mama enters the kitchen and adds her seasonings to the cut potatoes.
Mama: Joe, please put my potatoes in the oven once it has warmed up.
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
Mama goes back to the living room and in a few minutes calls to Papa.
Mama: Joe, did you put my potatoes in the oven?
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
Mama: Ok, thank you.
Sometime passes and Mama calls from the living room.
Mama: Joe, please check my potatoes. They need to be turned.
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
A couple minutes pass...
Mama: Joe, did you turn my potatoes?
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
Some more time passes and Mama calls once again from the living room
Mama: Joe, I think the potatoes should be almost done, please check on them.
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
Mama: Are they done? Let me come check.
Mama enters the kitchen and tastes a potato.
Mama: Yes, they are done. Joe, please take them out of the oven.
Papa: Yes, Dawn.
Mama goes back to the living room. Papa follows shortly afterwards, sits next to her and kisses her cheek.

They were married for over 60 years. They had a wonderful life that produced 4 beautiful daughters, my mother is the youngest. And lived to see 13 grandchildren. Papa did not live to see great-grandchildren but Mama lived to see 11 of them.

Love to all and happy creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment